CREW C TRIUMPHS IN INITIAL RACE

150-Pound Crew Will Meet Schoolboys at Kent--To Train Several Weeks at Prep School

Under ideal conditions the four crews of the A squad staged their first real race of the season over the one and three quarters mile course in the basin late yesterday afternoon. Stroked by J. H. Hall '27, crew C came out in front by a margin of two lengths over crew B, stroked by C. McK. Norton '29. Crews D and A finished in third and fourth places.

When the four eight's lined up at the St. Mary's Street Bridge, Coach E. J. Brown '96 gave the B, C, and D crews a handicap over A of approximately one length.

Before the crews had reached Harvard Bridge, however, the rhythm and power in Hall's boat had given his eight a decisive margin. A gained gradually on crew C but at the finish was still trailing by a quarter length. Crews A, C, and D rowed a stroke between 30 and 33 while Norton's crew finished in second place in spite of the fact that he kept the beat between 26 and 30. The winning eight was seated as follows:

Stroke, J. A. Hall '27; 7, R. W. Ladd '27; 6, Edwin Farnham '27; 5, J. B. Olmstead '27; 4, D. S. M. Lanier '28; 3, W. G. Saltonstall '28; 2, J. D. Sutherland '27; bow, D. S. Greer '29; cox., F. P. Sullivan '27.

According to an announcement made yesterday the first and University 150 pound crews will spend part of the spring vacation period in training at the Kent School in Kent, Conn. Kent Shell ad material will be used by the University oarsmen, who on April 20 will oppose the schoolboys in an informal race.