Brass Ash Trays Whirl as Smith Halls Eschew Organized Sports--Shuffle Board Men Begin Common Room Workout

The sporting Freshmen of the Smith Halls, finding the organized sports falling off, have called upon their ingenuity and taken up indoor sports in their common room, to tide them over the present dull season. Symptoms of this tendency were shown earlier on in the year when hockey games, participated in by four players and attended by large crowds of shouting enthusiasts were the vogue. Fortunately for the furniture and floor of the Common Room this bit of diversion was interrupted by the Smith Hall Proctors.

The chance for a new game was afforded by the university when it supplied the Common room with four shiny brass ash trays, stamped H. U. Immediately the sportiest of the young athletes invented a fast game of table shuffle board. Played by teams of two, in which two men of opposing sides stand at each end off a long table, the objective is to have your two ash trays nearest the other end of the table. If one contestant can get both nearer than his opponent does, his side scores two points, if only one is ahead a single marker is put up for his team.

The first evening's play was called early due to the appearance of one of the proctors and the roughness of the playing surface. The play, however, was started early the next evening and the two undisputed champions were crowned that evening. Since then the rivalry has been keener and teams get the league lead only to lose it soon again.

Gold looks have been unable to stem the tide of interest. One evening the four ash trays disappeared and there was great consternation among the players. Within a short time four more appeared; it is unknown whether they are the same or not, but they are ash trays and the game continues.

Suggestions have been made that ping pong would also provide interest but as yet no set has appeared. Such slow and pacific games as checkers and chess have not even been considered.