"Hands Off" Sign Belongs on Venus de Milo, Declares Mr. Hendricks Describes Discobolus as Waiter Heaving Dishes

"I'm sure glad I ain't building no Greek Temples," said Mr. Hendrick to a CRIMSON reporter yesterday. The dialogue took place in the tenderloin region of the New Fogg Museum where the interviewer found Mr. Hendrick immersed in the arduous duties of his position. He was nursing back to health a large assemblage of huge casts of statues, vases and other impediments connected with the migration.

"I hate to see so many good bits of this stuff cut up and flung around, but it looks like that was the only way we could ever have got them in here." He stopped, spat, chewed a diseased pipe and then added, "you see, even with the big doors they put in here, they forgot to figure that the doors in the old building was just as small as ever. Look at this, here."

There were two large reclining figures, each on a huge base. "These was once together, 'Day and Night' or something'. Well, we had to cut them apart and spoil the story. I wonder how they ever got 'em in over there to begin with. Then, take this, its a bowler, or a walter heavin' dishes, I don't now." He pointed to the Discobulus with a slight welt on its chest.

'We had to carve him, too. But he's got stays inside, so I guess the damage wont show none. We aint half begun, though. There's a five-ton statute just come from London out in front now. Its too heavy for the elevator, and pretty near too big for the doors. If you ask me they should have stood this heavy stuff where they wanted it, and then built up around it."

The last sally struck Mr. Hendrick as rather cute, and he chuckled. But his was no mentality to exhaust itself in a few feeble words. There was more to follow.

"You have to know your business around here, and its a mighty complicated one. First you break your back talking Jupiter or that Venus for a ride, and the next minute you have to give some Chinese jade a bath." Then a really potent epigram was coined. Suddenly turning from the tub in which the jades and vases were being bathed, he shook a pipe-stem at the Venus. "I've seen lots of signs in museums in my time, but I guess they ought to stick a 'Hands Off' sign on her all right."