PRIVATELY OWNED DORMITORY TO RISE NEAR WESTMORLY

Builders Undecided as to Height of Proposed Edifice--To Be Four or Eight Stories High

A new dormitory to replace the frame houses now standing at the corner of Mount Auburn and De Wolfe Streets, will soon be constructed by the Sterling Realty Trust, it was announced yesterday by one of its trustees. The new dormitory will not be owned by the University, but will be constructed and managed by a private concern. Plans for the building are still tentative, but it is expected that actual work will start some time in the near future.

The new dormitory will be constructed facing De Wolfe Street with its back against the newly constructed business block containing the Eliot lunch. Westmorly Court will be on its left, and across De Wolfe Street, in front of it, will be situated St. Paul's Catholic Church. According to present plans it will be made of brick in old Colonial style, and will by 100 feet-long by 65 feet wide. It will be adorned on the exterior by colonial pillars and doors. The windows will correspond exactly with the windows of colonial houses and inns. The height of the building is yet undetermined, but it is practically assured that it will be of either four or eight stories. From $250,000 to $400,000 will be invested in the new structure, according to the number of floors finally decided upon.

Internal Convenience Stressed

According to the announcement, the dormitory will be interially constructed with every thought expended to produce a modern structure: with all modern appliances and facilities. In each bedroom there will be placed beds that fold into the walls, and instead of bathtubs, in-wall shower baths will be constructed in each suite.

The new dormitory will be managed more on the order of a hotel than on that of a dormitory. Porters and servants will be at the service of the occupants; elevators will be in constant service; and maids and bellboys will be available at all times. Prices for the rooms will range from $250 to $800 per college year. The average price will be approximately $400.

In accordance with the present plans the dormitory, the tentative name for which is "The Varsity", will be ready for occupancy by the beginning of the next school year.