REGULARS TRIUMPH IN PRACTICE TILT

Favorable Weather and Turf Speeding Up Team's Development--Squad Will Be in Good Shape for Opening Game

The University baseball team, taking advantage of this week's warm weather has been able to play three practice games during the last three days. Yesterday, afternoon's encounter resulted in a close decision for the team A combination, which had eight of last year's regulars in its ranks.

The month of April begins this year with a squad which has reached a higher point of development than any Coach Mitchell has had in recent years. The outdoor sessions, made possible at an earlier date than usual and the present excellence of the Soldiers Field turf, will undoubtedly prove a valuable asset later in the season, when the 36 game schedule will call for unusually good condition on the part of the players.

In the three practice games, both A and B nines have played a fairly good brand of ball, and the fielding has a quality of smoothness and finish seldom seen in early season games.

Although Coach Mitchell has experimented with parts of his line-up; trying out three or four men for some positions, the regulars of last season appear to be holding their jobs in face of the keen competition.

In yesterday's tilt, team A defeated the seconds 6 to 5. Burns and Tobin bore the brunt of the first team attack, each batting out two singles, while Chase with a triple and single, wellded the big stick for team B.

The winning nine scored in all except the first and last of the six innings, while the losers garnered their five points in the frames in which they held their opponents scoreless. Cutts and Booth did mound duty for the winners while Barbee and Ketchum carried the team P. hurling assignment.

The lineup follows:

TeamA--cf, Burns, rf, Jones, 3b, Zarakov. If. Lord. 1b, Tobin, 2b, Ullman, ss, Sullivan, c. Duchin, c, Chauncey, p, Cutts, p, Booths.

Team B--cf, Brown, cf, Durkee, 2b, Elkins. If, Bennett, rf, Morbito, rf, Ellison, 3b, Donaghy, 1b, McGehee, ss, Chase, c, Newell, c, Donaldson, p, Barbee, p, Ketchum.