TEAM TROUNCES B. U.

Opening Game Sees Team in Excellent Early Season Form

For eight innings of Saturday's game the right arm of J. N. Barbee '28 held its spell over the B. U. batsmen. Four hits, three of which, coupled with a pass in the second inning, produced two runs, constituted the damage done to the Crimson hurler's delivery during that period. But with two out in the ninth William Ullman '27, University second-sacker, made a high throw to first, drawing J. E. Tobin off the cushion. Two pinch-hitters were rushed into the breach, and each responded with a clean single. Jenkins, Terrier backstop, faced crowded bags and drove in his team's third run with a hard drive to center. The threatening rally was throttled and the game ended when D. MacDonald grounded to Ullman, who nipped his man at first with a quick throw.

Crimson Fielding Tight

With the exception of the second and ninth frames, Barbee had no trouble in turning back the B. U. stickmen. Ullman's poor throw in the ninth and a missed grounder in the second stanza by R. C. Sullivan '28, who shared the shortstop's duties with J. P. Chase '28, were the only mistakes in an exhibition of clean, flawless fielding. Sullivan allowed Jenkins's hard grounder to skid through his legs, but as his glove did not touch the horsehide, he was not charged with an error.

The veteran Crimson nine found the offerings of D. MacDonald, who toiled on the hill for the Terriers, no mystery, and nicked his delivery for twelve hits, including doubles by Tobin and Henry Chauncey '28, who were the outstanding performers with the willow for the University. Coach F. G. Mitchell's charges displayed a faculty of consistent hitting, ten of their hits being bunched in the four innings in which they chalked up scores. The total of 12 Harvard players left on bases gives a hint of the fury with which they assaulted MacDonald's offerings, and loose fielding by the visitors proved an important factor in clogging the bases with Crimson runners.

Tobin and Ullman Score

Harvard first broke into the scoring column in the fourth frame, when W. M. Lord '28 singled, and was forced by Tobin. Ullman and Chauncey followed with hits, scoring Tobin, and after Chase, batting for Sullivan, had been hit by a pitched ball, and Barbee had allowed a third strike to slip past his bat, McCarthy, B. U. third baseman, fumbled a grounder by Burns and Ull- man raced across the plate with the second tally. An infield fly by W. B. Jones '28 ended the inning.

Captain Isadore Zarakov '27 led off in the next inning with a safe bunt, and moved to second on a wide throw by McCarthy. Lord sacrificed him to third, and a passed ball gave him a chance to cross the rubber with the run that gave Harvard the lead.

In the seventh Ullman, who had forced Tobin, stole second, and counted on a smashing double down the left field line by Chauncey. A pass to H. W. Burns '28, a single by Jones, a sacrifice fly by Lord and hits by Tobin and Ullman accounted for the last three Crimson counters.

HARVARDa.b.  r.  b.h.  p.o.  a.  e.Burns c.f.  3  1  1  0  0  0Jones r.f.  3  1  1  1  0  0Zarakov 3b.  4  1  1  4  0  0Lord l.f.  4  0  1  3  1  0Tobin 1b.  5  2  4  7  0  0Sullivan s.s.  1  0  0  3  0  0Chauncey c.  5  0  2  4  0  0Ullman 2b.  4  2  2  3  5  1Chase s.s.  2  0  0  2  0  0Barbee p.  4  0  0  0  3  0Totals  35  7  12  27  9