CHEEK REPLACES TIBBETTS AS P.B.H. HEAD NEXT YEAR

"Religion and Education" Is Topic of Addresses--Representatives of Three Different Creeds Talk

At the annual dinner given at the Phillips Brooks House last night it was announced on the program that Marion Adolphus Cheek of Berkeley, California, would become Graduate Secretary of the Phillips Brooks House Association for the year 1927-28, taking the place of W. I. Tibbetts '17, in that capacity. The features of the evening's program was a symposium in which the Reverend Augustine F. Hickey, of St. Paul's Catholic Church, Cambridge, Rabbi Harry Levi, Temple Israel, Boston, and the Reverend Raymond Calkins '90, First Congregational Church, Cambridge, spoke on "Religion and Education."

Increase in Religion Needed

The Reverend A. F. Hickey opened the symposium with a short address in which he emphasized the need of religion in education. "The dominant human hunger is for truth," he said, "and the basic truth is the existance of God. The appreciation of the existance is the start of human joys." He concluded in saying that religion and education should always work together.

The second speaker was Rabbi Harry Levi who commenced by showing that the union of religion and education could be represented in no better way than in the evening's meeting. He continued, "We have not been able to raise the average morals with increased wealth or with increased education. What is needed is an increase in religion. The hope of the world is always in the youth and as a result some social influence is needed to keep him from becoming too self centered. This influence should be a religion, not a purely intellectual one, but one which is deeper than that and one which does not break in a crisis."

The last speaker was the Reverend Raymond Calkins '90 who outlined the relative development of education and religion. He also read a number of statements made by such agnostics as Clarence Darrow, and attacked them as pernicous influences in education. He closed by quoting part of a speech made by President Angell of Yale.