THE RACE QUESTION

Featured in the April issue of the Radcliffe Quarterly, a publication of the Alumnae Association of that college, is an article by no less a person than Le Baron R. Briggs, entitled "Not Always to the Swift". Here one is encouraged to encourage Radcliffe, remembering that "the race is not always to" the hare, and that seldom does the tortoise lose.

Nor will anyone who has in the most casual manner watched the struggle of American womanhood toward Divisional Examinations differ in point of view from the esteemed "Dean". The growth is a dignified and worthy tradition of this Ecole des Femmes merits the praise of less distinguished minds than his. It is in certain minor matters that one must differ with the author of "Not Always to the Swift".

What time Radcliffe suggests to Harvard that she "formally join Harvard" in anything other than a mutual "nolo contendere" that moment must inaugurate catastrophe, Radcliffe may mix her metaphors, "when properly endowed"; she may mix her dramatics, for, as has been well said, few are thus disturbed. She must not mix her affairs with those of Harvard. The blushes of Emerson and Agassiz daily reprove those careless female tortoises, to keep the figure, who invade the buildings which bear their names

"The race is not always to the swift", in all truth; nor is it to the co-educationally stunted mentality. All praise to them who race their tedious way to glory on Brattle. There is no need for a medley relay.