HARVARD TRIUMPHS IN TRIANGULAR DEBATES

Decision of League Gives Title to University Speakers -- Yale Takes Second Place

Harvard has been declared winner of the 1927. Harvard Yale-Princeton debate recently held in each of the three universities, it has been announced by the Eastern Intercollegiate Debating League.

It was originally declared that Harvard and Yale were tied for first place and Princton came last. In the debate at Princeton, where the Yale affirmative team met the Princeton negative team, two judges voted for Yale, and one judge and the audience cast their votes for Princeton. It was then thought that in case of a tie, the vote of the audience should be discarded, and the decision for the evening was given to Yale. At New Haven, Harvard and Yale tied for the honors of the evening, and in Cambridge, Harvard received the unanimous decision of the judges and the audience over Princeton. Thus, since Harvard and Yale had each won one debate, they were declared tied. However, it has been recently disclosed that the Constitution of the Eastern Intercollegiate Debating League states that "In all league debates there shall be three judges, with the audience counting as a fourth judge" and "In the event that there are two votes for the affirmative and two for the negative, the debate is to be declared a draw." Therefore, the debate at Princeton has been determined a tie, and Harvard has been declared winner of the triangular debate.