BROWN REMODELS FIRST TWO BOATS

Perkins Replaces Watts at Stroke in Shakeup--Effort Made to Obtain Two Equal Boats

A crew squad, remodelled by Coach E. J. Brown '96 in such a way as to form two nearly equal eights, took its first row following the Navy race on the Charles yesterday afternoon. John Watts '28, who stroked the University boat against the midshipmen last Saturday, has temporarily yielded his place to J. H. Perkins '27 and Captain Geoffrey Platt '27, who has been unable to row until recently due to illness, resumed his old place at number 5 on the University squad. Coupled with these shifts there was also an exchange of the how four oars in each boat.

To be Ranked Again Next Week

The present shift is to last only for the remainder of the week and a first and second eight will be chosen by Coach Brown next Monday. The rearrangement of the crews was made in an attempt to determine better the ability of various men, especially the strokes, which can be done much more easily by rowing them in different and evenly manned boats. Coach Brown did not say, but it is thought that Norton and Perkins will stroke the two crews during most of the week and that Watts will replace one of them when the squad is again given a definite ranking it is probable also that, barring mishap, Captain Platt's place in the first eight is assured throughout the rest of the season He is getting into shape rapidly and seems none the worse for his illness.

During the week there will probably be other shifts in the two boats, unless their respective strength is comparable as they are seated at present. If conditions are favorable they will meet on the basin course Wednesday and Saturday afternoons of this week. The remodelling of the squad leaves the two boats seated as follows:

FIRST BOAT  SECOND BOATLawrence Bow  Bow AmesRiley No. 2  No. 2 FarnhamBarry No. 3  No. 3 LaddEmmet No. 4  No. 4 SaltonstallPlatt No. 5  No. 5 HarwoodClarke No. 6  No. 6 HubbardMurchie No. 7  No. 7 BancroftPerkins stroke  stroke NortouSullivan cox  cox Pforzheime