SHE HAS A BOOK

Just as there is honor among thieves, so is there quarrelling among booksellers. The American Association of Booksellers has "viewed with alarm" the growing power of such groups as the Book-Of-The-Month-Club and the several organizations which have followed in the wake of its success. The objection is raised on the grounds that such procedure consultutes nothing but artificial stimulation, and that there are many equally deserving candidates which are doomed never to win popularity simply because they have not been officially recognized as being among the "best."

The bookmen's contention cannot be accepted as quite altruistic, since the guilds against which they speak undoubtedly remove a certain number of persons who would otherwise buy at their local bookstore. Still, the fundamental argument, that of overemphasis on certain books at the expense of others, is correct. Advertising never improves the quality of the book however much it may affect the sales. And some irreconcilables will always be prejudiced by the fact that a jury has foreordained the success of a novel. The best reason for the maintenance of these book societies is that up to this time the selectors have been eminently well fitted for their task. The fallacy of the movement, however, is no less strong.