WIDENER ISSUES FIRST LIST OF DESIDERATA IN MODERN POETRY--STUDENT SUPPORT SOLICITED

WORKS OF POUND AND LAWRENCE ARE IN DEMAND

Following the example of the Bodleian Library at Oxford, Widener Library will publish from time to time, with the cooperation of a committee of undergraduates of the John Barnard Associates, a list of the Library's desiderata in contemporary poetry. This innovation comes as a result of the inability of the Library authorities, working by themselves, satisfactorily to keep up the collection of modern poetry.

Recognizing however, the importance and desirability of maintaining an up-to-date and complete collection, they have enlisted the service of the John Barnard Associates. The association's task includes the compilation of check lists, which will be available for consultation by students of modern poetry.

First Editions Wanted

First editions are being collected and placed in the Treasure Room of Widener, where they will be open for study and inspection for students of poetry, and every possible effort is being made to provide the University with a full library of contemporary verse.

The reason that the lists of desiderata are to be published is that the work will undoubtedly be more successful if it is not limited solely to the efforts of the undergraduate committee or to the efforts of the Library itself. The cooperation of the undergraduates is expected to be of considerable benefit to the work and for this reason the student committee is making a definite appeal to other undergraduates.

The first list of desiderata is therefore published below. Gifts lying out side of these list, however, will also be welcome, duplicates being both desirable and necessary. The volumes on the list printed below includes only first editions, but subsequent editions are also wanted.

Ezra Pound and D. H. Lawrence are the two poets included on the first list which follows:

Works of Pound on List.

Ezra Pound: "Personae, Exultations, Canzoni, Ripostes," 2 vols., London (1913), Elkin Mathew; "Des Imagistes"--Published by Albert and Charles Boni as a number of the "Glebe", a publication edited by Alfred Kreymborg (1914); "Des Imagistes"--Published by the Poetry Bookshop, London (1914); "Personal" London (1916), Elkin Mathew; "Lustra," Privato Edition; New York (1917); "Umbra; The early poems of Ezra Pound," London (1920); "Physique de I'Amour," by Remy de Gourmont, translated by Ezra Pound, London (1921); 'Sixteen Cantos of Ezra Pound," Paris (1926), Three Mountains Press. "Oatholic Anthology," selected and edited by Ezra Pound, London (1915), Elkin Mathew.

"The White Peacock" Sought.

D. H. Lawrence: "The White Peacock," London (1911), William Heineman; "The White Peacock," New York (1911) Duffield & Company; "The Trespasser," London (1912), Duckworth and Co.; "Sons and Lovers," London (1913), Duckworth and Co.; "The Rainbow," Methuen and Co. (1915); "Twilight in Italy," London (1916), Duckworth and Co.; "Amores" London (1916), Duckworth and Co.; "Women in Love," London (1921), Martin Secker; "The Lost Girl," London (1920), Martin Secker; "Psychoanalysis and the Unconscious," New York (1921), Thomas Seltzer; "Sea and Sardinia," New York (1921), Thomas Seltzer; "Aaron's Rod," New York (1922), Thomas Seltzer; "Fantasia and the Unconscious," New York (1922) Thomas Seltzer; "Glad Ghosts," Ernest Benn (1926); "Reflections on the Death of a Porcupine," Centaur-Press (1925); "The Plumed Serpent," London (1926), Martin Secker; "St. Maur, together with the Princess," London (1925), Martin Secker.