GARGOYLES--IN MODERN DRESS

When Quasimade peered down from the towers of Notre Dame he was surrounded by variations of the seven devils, grotesquely carved in the recesses of the cathedral. Today modern Quasimade who have the ambition to crewl around the less obvious parts of the Princeton Graduate College have similar company, brought down to modernity and constructed with an eye for present collegiate tendencies. There is a gargoyle representing an amorous duet in a roadster, there is another which shows a radio fan in the midst of his revelry. And so tomorrow, or whenever roadsters and radios are superseded by other curiosities, the archeologists will find new fields for delving and a future Taylor can expatiate on the involutions of "The Jazz Mind".

Harvard might conceivably exploit the idea. The attractiveness of Memorial Hall could be enhanced by casual statues of local celebreties performing their usual functions; an obelisk glorifying the American old clothes man, a genre subject portraying a Senior preparing for Divisionals, tennis racquet in one hand and theatre tickets in the other; portrait of a Freshman donning last season's white flannels for this year's Jubilees; whole flocks of pathetic sublimities are available. But there would be conscientious objectors who would remonstrate that architecture was being over-emphasized, the certain things could will be omitted from eternal memory, and that the cartoon's place is in the comic strip. To which the humanist could reply that no conservative level had a healthy sense of humor--and that if one is mocked for being indifferent, one may placate the public by being different, thus killing two birds with a single--and over-whelming gargoyle.