H.A.A. TO MAKE NEW ATHLETIC FIELDS AND TENNIS COURTS

Levelling and Grading of Land Is Now Under Way--Field Will Not be for the School Exclusively

Definite steps are at present being taken by the Athletic Association in accordance with its policy of adding to the athletic facilities for all members of the University it was learned today from W. J. Bingham '16. These steps consist in the construction of 16 tennis courts and about six acres of playing field upon the filled in land directly behind the Business School.

The Athletic Committee, earlier in the year, appropriated the funds for these tennis courts which will probably be permanent. The H. A. A. was also given permission to turn the six acres behind the proposed tennis courts into playing fields in case it would level and seed them. These fields, which will be fenced in, will be used for informal games, such as touch football in the fall, for which goal posts will be erected, and baseball in the spring, when diamonds will be laid out. It is not certain, however, that they will be permanent as the land may at some time in the future be used for college buildings. The land directly east of the Business School buildings will not be used for playing fields.

In spite on the fact that the courts and fields almost form a part of the Business School lay-out, they will not be restricted in any way to the use of the members of the School above, although it will naturally afford them a convenient place for athletics.

Work is at present under way, a large number of men being employed in leveling and grading the land. The tennis courts, which will be built during the summer, and the fields will be ready for use next fall.