Donaghy Takes Undisputed Batting Lead as Team Average Settles Down to .299--Warmer Weather Beneficial to Fielding

With a third of the season's games already behind them the University batsmen have settled down to a .299 average, ten points lower than the mark they maintained through the opening games and the Southern trip, but still well ahead of last year's record.

G. E. Donaghy '29, who led Henry Chauncey '28 by the scant margin of five points a week ago has taken undisputed possession of first place among the individual hitters, having bolstered his average to .434 while that of Chauncey, still his nearest rival, has fallen to .355. W. W. Lord '28 and W. B. Jones '28 are the only regulars beside Donaghy whose averages have gone up as a result of their hitting in the last three games. H. W. Burns '28 still leads the field in runs scored with 19, almost a fourth of the team's total, and has also stolen as many bases as the rest of his team-mates put together. His total of 23 steals so far this year shatters all previous records, the highest individual total at the close of the 1926 season being seven shared by Captain C. L. Todd '26 and W. B. Jones '28, and in 1925 Isadore Zarakov '27 and T. W. Hammond '25 led the field with four pilfered bases apiece.

The fielding average of the team as a whole as risen steadily with the arrival of warmer weather and more equitable playing conditions, showing an 18 point increase during the past week. Jones, without a single miscue against his name, leads the guardians of the outer diamond regions, while Donaghy has a larger percentage of faultlessly handled chances to his credit than any of the other Crimson infielders.