THREE PROFESSORS TO GO ABROA IN 1926-27

Woods, Demos and Spalding Will Take Sabbaticals Next Year-To Study in Various Countries

Professor J. H. Woods '87, of the Philosophy Department, Raphael Demos '19. Assistant Professor of Philosophy, and Tutor in the Division of Philosophy, and W. R. Spalding '87, Professor of Music, will take next year as a Sabbatical, it was announced yesterday. Each will travel abroad and study.

Professor Woods will leave for Europe shortly after the adjourning of college this spring and will make his headquarters for the next-year in France. He will act in the capacity of exchange professor at the Sorbonne, and will lecture in several of the other provincial universities of France.

Professor Demos also will make France the centre of his travels during the coming year. While abroad he will do some research work in "Revolutionary and Social Philosophy", and expects to make several excursions through various sections of Europe. He will be replaced at Harvard during his absence by E. A. Burtt. Assistant Professor of Philosophy at the University of Chicago, who will lecture On "History of Philosophy from Copernicus to Kant", and will do some tutoring.

During his Sabbatical, Professor Spalding will travel in France and Italy. As he did on a trip six years ago, he may lecture in several French Universities. He expects to spend some time visiting the musical unit of the American Academy in Rome, which the University Music Department helped to found.

While resting from his actual classwork duties in Harvard, Professor Spalding will write his "History of the Development of Music at Harvard" for the three hundredth anniversary of the founding of the University, to be held in 1936.