UNIVERSITY PRESS TAKES PUBLISHING AWARD FOR '26

Wins Prize for Third Time From Foremost Publishers

The Harvard University Press has been awarded the annual medal given by the American Institute of Graphic Arts for the best book printed in the year 1926, judged mainly for its treatment of typographical problems. The volume which won the prize is "A Book of Old Maps" by Fite and Freeman, and the award, which is one of the highest given in America for publishing, has been taken by the University Press three times in the last six years.

The American Institute of Graphic Arts each year has a jury choose 50 books from those that are submitted. These volumes then are exhibited, first in New York and then on a tour of the states, going as far west as California and returning to the Gloria Club, in New York where the best volume is selected.

Has Won Prize Before

The books printed by the Harvard University Press that have won the prize in past years were, in 1922, Updike's "Printing Types": and in-1924, Huston's "Dr. Johnson". Last year's winner, although designed and set up at the University Press was printed by the W. E. Rudge Press. The maps were reproduced by a new acquatone process.