YALE TO ORGANIZE NEW DEPARTMENT

Bureau of Appointment to Aid Seniors in Vocational Selection--Division to Guide Freshmen

New Haven, Conn., June 9.--The establishment of a department for personnel study at Yale University, made possible by a gift of $300,000 from C. H. Ludington '87, of Philadelphia, was announced today by President James Rowland Angell. The Yale Corporation has approved the appointment of Albert Beecher Crawford, who has supervised the activities of the Bureau of Appointments since, 1919, as Director of the department. Mr. Crawford will have the rank of Professor.

The new department will have two divisions, one the Bureau of Appointments largely as constituted at present, and the other devoted to assisting the orientation of Freshmen in the choice of their upper school, discussing with students in Yale College and the Sheffield Scientific School the election of courses and careers, collecting data to aid the Board of Admissions in problems related to methods of selecting students, and in general assembling information that will be helpful in educational and vocational guidance and in the placement of graduating seniors. The establishment of the new department now made possible by Mr. Ludington's gift reflects the keen interest shown in problems of personnel study by the alumni and students alike.

Students Urge Personnel Work

The Alumni Adisory Board, especially its Committee on the Sheffield Scientific School, and the Yale Engineering Association have strongly urged the creation of such a department. The students through the 1927 Board of the "Yale Daily News" and its Chairman. Russell Lee Post, also made recommendations for the initiation of this work. The policies of the department of personnel will be under the control of an Administrative Council consisting of the Director, the Provost of the University, the Deans of the undergraduate schools, the Chairman of the Board of Admissions, and representatives of the Student Councils. The new organization is to be set up at once, and will be prepared to begin work with students in the fall. Its primary purpose will be the assisting of such students as voluntarily seek the department's services, toward a more intelligent utilization of the opportunities afforded by the courses in the University.

Angell Lauds Project

President Angell, emphasizing the need of personnel study, spoke of the necessity for a carefully organized bureau of accurate information regarding contemporary conditions in typical occupations which absorb college graduates each year, and the need for a personnel service which would help the student to determine with some exactness for himself his real qualifications and in what fields of endeavor he can hope to be successful. He declared that a personnel system of the kind suggested, with accurate information regarding outside conditions, and with an effective alumni placement organization outside the university, should go far to remedy the present loosely-handled procedure.