DEDICATORY CEREMONIES FOR NEW FOGG MUSEUM TO BE HELD ON JUNE 20

Bishop Lawrence to Offer Prayer--Poem by Professor Grandgent and Songs by Glee Club Complete Program

Invitations have just been sent out for the opening ceremonies of the New Fogg Art Museum which are to be held on Monday, June 20, at 11 o'clock. President Lowell will preside at the dedication of the new building, at which Bishop William Lawrence '71 is to read the prayer, and Professor C. H. Grandgent '83 will deliver a poem. The Glee Club will then sing several numbers.

Following the exercises the entire building will be thrown open to the inspection of the guests. The museum will be opened to the general public on Class Day, Tuesday, June 21.

The opening exercises will be conducted in the open courtyard in the center of the building. This courtyard has been carried out in Italian traventine, and has a double arcade with Doric pilasters below and Ionic pilasters and columns above, this motif running around all four sides. The model for this double arcade has been furnished by the front of the presbytery of the Church of the Madonna di San Biazio, by Antonio da San Gallo at Montepulciano.

Courtyard Central Feature

The courtyard which is the feature of the building is visible from every part of the building, numerous angles being presented by the many doors; all of which open on it. Consequently, in this way, unity of plan is obtained and the visitor is able to orient himself. The top story of the court is enclosed with glass and is to be used for the exhibition of sculpture.

The external architecture of the New Museum, which is constructed of red brick with limestone cornices, harmonizes with the traditions of Harvard buildings, but within the structure is carried out in the style of the Italian Renaissance of the sixteenth century.

Two Galleries for Exhibition

There are two stories of exhibition galleries along Quincy Street, the upper story having a toplight. The most important gallery on the main floor is Guest Hall, rising to a height of two stories and roofed with a beamed ceiling which is itself a sixteenth century work from Dijon. This room, which is finished in rough plaster with a stone floor, will be used principally for the exhibition of tapestries and mural decorations.

Near the entrance, also on the main floor, a small accessions room is pro- vided in which new material may be shown before its final placement in the collection. To the rear are the library and photographic rooms, in both of which the stacks, offices, and store rooms are supplemented by additional space in the basement. There is still space for 60,000 books and 80,000 photographs