NEW DINING HALL WOULD BE SUCCESS

Special Arrangements Are Dependent on Number of Eaters--Many Deterred by 21 Meal Agreement

That the proposed University dining hall can be made a success from the operative point of view was the opinion expressed by R. L. Westcott, superintendant of the Freshman and Business School dining halls, in an interview with the CRIMSON last night.

"If 500 or more students will pledge themselves to eat in the new dining hall," said Westcott, "I have no doubt that it can be operated successfully. The charges of $10.50 a week which will probably be established for the new hall if it is built, is the same as that in the Business School at present and should insure the provision of a good, wholesome fare. A considerably larger number of students would undoubtedly agree to eat in the projected hall if special arrangements could be provided for which would free them from the rigorous 21 meals a week requirement. A good many men for instance will probably be unwilling to sign the pledge cards which have been sent out because they will not want to eat their breakfasts regularly at the University dining hall. There will also be men who frequently leave Cambridge for week-ends who will not relish the idea of paying for several meals on Saturday and Sunday which they rarely have a chance to eat.

"Whether the University can make exceptions in such cases as these of not will depend largely on the number of students who decide to eat in the dining hall. If enough of them eat there regularly and the establishment gets under way successfully, it will undoubtedly be possible to provide for those who wish to eat there only part of the time."