BUNK

"College professors naturally tend toward socialism as their small salaries necessarily keep them, as a class, from being really prosperous. This, I think, accounts for the great interest shown by them in the present controversy and also for the fact that many of our sons return from college with strong socialistic tendencies which they never would have learned from their parents or friends. Builders are not socialists."

This choice specimen of local inanity appeared last night in the columns of the Transcript as a portion of the letter written to Governor Fuller by another gentleman interested in the Sacco-Vanzetti case, namely, one Chandler Hovey, stock-broker. On a day when college professors and men from the world of business meet to dedicate the new buildings of the School of Business Administration such maladroit cerebration loses its humor in its speciousness.

Mr. Hovey, of course, believes socialism and anarchy the same. He does not understand that the interest of college professors, such as the eminent authorities on jurispudence of the Harvard Law School, in this famous case centers upon a legal and not a political point. Nor can this be laid to the fact that he is a stock broker, a Bostonian. One of the most pleasing of modern phenomena is that of the interest which business men, college professors, men from all the categories of current existence, have taken in the finer points of this attempt to probe the Sacco-Vanzetti case in search of the truth.

Mr. Hovey, apparently, proves the rule by his exception to it. A man of property, in a hurried moment, he may have swallowed the bait of "red" alarmists, those people who see in the lectures of a courageous leader of thought or in the ebb of the New York market the fires of a great and devasting uprising, lead by the "reds". Who the "reds" are has yet to be decided. Perhaps Mr. Hovey will find that when he discovers why "socialists" are per se wicked.

More than any other need of these hurried times is that of calm thinking and sharp differentiations. If this Boston stock broker had looked up in such a dictionary as college teachers often edit the meaning of the word, "socialist", had he studied this notorious legal case, he would never have written such bunk.