ELI EIGHTS STAGE FIRST TIME TRIAL

University Crew Will Cover Course at Racing Stroke Then--Junior Crew to Train for Four Mile Distance

New London, June 8.--Coach Leader sent the first and second Yale crews over the four mile course this afternoon in the first time trial since their arrival here last Sunday. The Harvard crews did not hold a time trial but rowed the course at a low paddle.

A stiff wind made the Thanies unusually choppy today and to a large extent accounts for the slow time of 23 minutes made by the Elis. They rowed the course downstream, and although this gave them a favoring tide it was not sufficient to counteract the handicap of the head wind.

The Crimson eights will not cover the four mile stretch at a racing stroke until Saturday, when Coach Brown will send both the first and second crews over the course. If the respective ability of Norton and Watts at stroke is shown conclusively by this race. Coach Brown will select definitely the pace setter who will face Yale on June 24. If not, another race will be staged the first part of next week.

Because of the fact that a last minute accident to one of the oarsmen in the first University boat would find no substitute prepared for the four mile grind it has been decided to train both the first and second eights for this distance. The same plan will be followed by Coach Leader.