GRATWICK WARNS AGAINST DANGERS OF TRANSITION

EVERY MAN URGED TO FIND A NEW SOURCE OF INSPIRATION

The following article of greeting and advice to the members of the Class of 1931 was written by Mitchell Gratwick '22, Assistant Dean in charge of the Freshman Class.

When a Freshman engages to travel in this new academic world, no doubt he has been warned a score of times or more of the danger of transition and is thoroughly saturated with precautionary messages. Taking for granted therefore that such preparation has been adequate, (if it hasn't please consult your advisor, proctor or Freshman Dean) it will be more to the point to dwell on other aspects.

There will be Freshmen already absorbed in scientific careers, in medicine, philosophy and the prospect of business. There are bound to be others filled with the importance of their own self-sufficiency resenting the thought of culture and broader horizons. As the Freshman wanders about the historic buildings inside and out, as he contemplates the multitude of new demands to be made upon his time, as he analyzes his companions, and passes learned professors in the yard, his humility may drive him to his interests already established and further into himself; or on the other hand, his pretended superiority may settle into an insulation against all that is best in Harvard. Don't let it happen.

For every one, regardless of his state of mind, the really great diversity of the new surroundings, opportunities, associates and over-lords ought to stir intellectual curiosity. Begin the year with an open mind. Every man must set himself to find at least one new source of inspiration.