IN CONFERENCE

Advice is the cheapest commodity in Cambridge today. Almost any Freshman, bored and weary after this round of first meetings, can castify to that. Appetite by a flood of sweet wisdom, he is apt to turn slightly sour at the thought of remaining further in the role of advisee. If this is the case it is unfortunate for two reasons. First, because interest in other people's welfare is a forced thing at Harvard and the years of plenty will be followed by a long lean term, advice is obtained only for the asking. Secondly, because the soundest, most reasonable, and most qualified advice is yet in store for the Freshmen and its fount, the Student Advisors.

In the last three years the system of helpful contact between upperclassmen and Freshmen during the first months of college has progressed to a point where for the first time it has come to an actuality. It has gone further than a mere announcement in the CRIMSON of the names of a representative group of Juniors and Sophomores. It has even passed beyond the point where a straggling few of this same group huddled together for mutual protection at a table in a Freshman dining hall while their reason d'etre gazed with kindred timidity from the other end of the room. In short the Advisors are at last beginning to function in their proclaimed capacity and with a modicum of cooperation from their advisees in the form of normal curiosity and absence of reticence are in a position to do the entering class invaluable service. If the ins of college life are not demonstrated with all the clarity desirable, at least the advisors may render a timely warning concerning the outs.