TUTORIAL INSTRUCTION PLAN IS EXPLAINED FOR GUIDANCE OF 1931

IS IN FORCE IN MOST COLLEGE DEPARTMENTS

Looking for a tangible difference between Harvard and other educational institutions of the country, the average Freshman is likely to fall back on indifference, codfish or the memory of championship football teams. But a longer and more intimate acquaintance with the University will introduce him to the tutorial system, and then he will have something to talk about.

Some eight years ago there was introduced a new note in American educational methods, a plan of instruction modeled on the tutorial system long in use at English universities and particularly at Oxford. The Department of History, Government and Economics adopted the scheme on trial, watched with interest by the Corporation and other departments of the University. Each student electing to concentrate his academic attention on courses in the History, Government and Economics field was to have the personal supervision of a tutor, appointed from the staff of the University especially for the purpose of aiding the individual.

The plan was successful, and has been extended and adopted with various ramifications in most of the departments of undergraduate study. With the introduction of the experiment into the Division of Biology last year, the tutorial system made its debut in the scientific field. Physics and Chemistry are the lone departments not yet in the tutorial fold.

Toward the close of his Freshman year each undergraduate is required to select a special field in which to concentrate his attention during his last three years. A tutor is assigned to him, who is responsible for the preparation of the candidate to try his divisional examinations in his Senior year. The tutor guides the choice of courses and supplements with personal instruction and advice the student's work in his courses. Reading assigned by the tutor is discussed at conferences at intervals of about two weeks. Occasional written work may be required.

In most departments the student is shifted from tutor to tutor, as he progresses from one portion of his field to another. By this plan he gains the advantage of the opinion of a number of men especially interested in his study.

It is not the purpose of the tutorial plan to supersede instruction in courses or to provide an added burden for the student to carry through his college course. Work done out of courses with the tutor is intended to parallel the path followed by the lecturer and to supply the material necessarily omitted in the management of a large lecture course.