CHEMISTRY GROUP WILL BE COMPLETED BY MAY

WORK HAS REACHED SECOND FLOOR OF MAIN BUILDING

With a battalion of more than 250 masons, carpenters, plumbers, day laborers, and superintendents working at top speed, the construction of the new chemistry laboratory on Oxford Street has attained its maximum pace. The builders' contract names May 1 as the completion date for the two buildings which will compose the projected chemistry group, and according to present indications this date will see the outside of the buildings, at least, actually completed. The interiors will be finished up and the equipment for this new chemical plant installed during the summer. The Chemistry Department is planning to move into its new quarters before the beginning of the next college year and to commence regular class and laboratory work there next September.

The new laboratory will consist of two buildings, the larger facing on Oxford Street, and the smaller occupying the rest of the block behind it. These buildings will be connected by an underground passage covered by a one story corridor. Work on building A, the main structure facing on Oxford Street, has progressed to the second, and in some places third floor, while the walls of building B have as yet risen only to the first floor.

Building A is to contain the main entrance, a chemical museum, a lecture hall with a seating capacity of over 1,000, two smaller lecture halls, laboratories, offices, and storage rooms.