RESEARCH EXPEDITION GOES TO FRENCH SUDAN

TO STUDY ANCIENT CULTURE OF BLACK TRIBES

The French Sudan will be the scene of research in anthropology, archaeology and ethnology by the Peabody explorers, F. R. Wulsin '13 and P. T. L. Putnam '25.

In an interview today with a CRIMSON reporter, Mr. Wulsin, an Associate of the museum, said that Putnam and he will said about October 7 for Paris, whence they will proceed to Dakar on the west African coast. They will then travel 700 miles by rail to Bambako, capital of French Sudan, which is to be their temporary headquarters.

The explorations will be conducted along the Niger River which flows through varied areas of brush and mountainous country.

"The French Sudan is the transition belt between the Sahara desert and the forests on the South," said Mr. Wulsin. "It is consequently the dividing zone, and at the same time, the meeting zone of the white momadic tribes of the north and the negro races of the South."

In this region the two are believed to have clashed and finally mingled forming a new type of man known as the fulahs. These people will be the object of special research as they possess features of each of the races.

The explorers expect to study the culture of these people which dates back at least to medieval times. Pots, tools, weapons and other specimens are to be sought for the Peabody Museum for its collection of native implements of medieval peoples.

The two explorers intend to be absent from this country for about six months.