A RAY OF HOPE

Another Hydra head has popped up to threaten serenity in Reading Period hibernation. "Sunshine starvation" is the latest excuse to while away long hours over seductive literature on "coral islands", "bright jewels of the West Indies",--average temperature 60 to 70 degrees. For science has decreed that sunshine like food is pernicious by its absence. Flowers fade and wither away, children get rickety, and the Harvard Club of Boston installs machinery to feed its sunshine-hungry members. Not of least interest is the biological study which accompanied this announcement. The photographer has caught all the intimate charm which must surround the acquisition of sunburn without the inconvenience of sand in ones hair and ears.

The idea of the "rays", not new, but come close to home, breeds startling ramifications. What boots a Bermuda trip at the peril of permanent indigence, or long weeks of semi-nude labor in the single sculls when the golden brown reward can be reaped with five minutes a day under the Actinic glow? Along with William Blake's little man on the ladder reaching for the moon, the cry of the undergraduate will be "I want, I want." A set of violet rays in the squash courts could do much toward alleviating this new form of malnutrition.