OPEN WATER LURES CREWS ONTO RIVER

Coach Brown Stresses Insignificance of Incident--Three University, One 150-Pound, and One 1931 Eight Row

Coach H. H. Haines' 1930 oarsmen launched the Leviathan yesterday afternoon on its initial cruise of the season. Eighty men, in five different trips, were coached by Mr. Haines and his assistant D. C. Gates '26. In spite of the fact that there are still numerous floating cakes of ice in the river no serious difficulties were encountered by the first year oarsmen.

Coach Brown, mentor of the University crews, announced that he intends to in his men on the water today in shells. The A squad, which has thus far been composed of five crews, is now reduced to four boats due to the fact that eight men have been dropped from that group to the B squad. The crews which are still retained on the first squad will elect captains sometime in the near future, according to Coach Brown. The strokes of these crews, however, are to be alternated although the crews themselves are to be kept practically intact for some time. The first, second, and third boats will not be chosen until during or shortly after the spring vacation period. Until then the eights on the A squad will be kept as nearly equal as possible.

Under Coach C. S. Heard '25 the University 150 pound men have been making rapid progress and will go on the river today. Coach Heard, with 76 candidates, has an unusual amount of light weight material from which to choose. The 150 pound crew schedule, however, is still tentative and will not be announced until later.

It is probable that the first year oarsmen will continue to row in the Leviathan until the latter part of this week, when Coach Haines will make up crews. At about the same time that the University crews are chosen a first, second and third Freshman boat will be chosen, as well as two 150 pound crews.