FIFTY YEARS YOUNG

The fiftieth anniversary of the Yale News is an occasion worthy of even more recognition than the many felicitations which have already poured into New Haven from all over the world. Not only among those statemen who are interested in college men--President Coolidge and Chief Justice Taft being among the congratulators nor among the brethren of the metropolitan journalists--from whom the greetings included the London Times, the Deutsche Allgemeine Zeitung, and the Tokyo Advertiser--is this an anniversary full of gratification. In the very forefront of well-wishers is the college journalist, who sees in this long and distinguished record a vindication of four years novitiate on the altar of the god whose form is of type metal.

The inspirational idea that one is building bigger than perhaps he will ever know comes infrequently enough in the wee hours when, as the News says editorially, necessity "will not take 'no' for an answer but demands that that paper must come out in acceptable form every morning." Curiously, such inspiration is most needful, as the CRIMSON can bear witness from its own semi-centennial in 1923, when the newspaper is obliged to reverse conventional birthday procedure and treat its readers to a gargantuan supplement.

One may say that greatest pleasure, at times like this, is found not in the congratulations of the world beyond the campus, but rather in the quiet satisfaction of the college itself. Noisely the student grinds his axe each day in the mail column, but on the fiftieth anniversary his appreciation comes, no less sincere because student reticence on such occasions makes men like Dean Warren his spokesman: "News editorials, communications, and other features--they are entertaining, instructive, sometimes a bit irritating, but how we should miss them if they were to stop!"

That the Yale News is, if one may filch unrebuked from the News itself, "still vivacious at fiftieth milestone," makes even more agreeable her arrival into what is still a very limited category.