UNIVERSITY SEXTET DOWNED BY McGILL

Goal Made by Giddens in Second Period Disallowed by Referee -- Outsider Enters Game in Last Minute Play

In a fast and furious contest played on the Madison Square Garden rink Saturday night the University hockey team went down to its first defeat of the season before its second Canadian rival, McGill University, by a score of 3-1. The Montreal sextet furnished the Crimson skaters greater competition than the Toronto team did last week, snatching victory from the University in the last period which the two teams entered tied at one goal all. Captain J. P. Chase '28 scored Harvard's lone tally in the second period on a direct center shot.

Over 3000 spectators, one of whom at least took an active part in the ice battle, witnessed the contest, the first two periods of which produced the fastest brand of college hockey on record this season. Entering the final period at a grim deadlock McGill snapped up the defense and forged ahead, Doherty scoring a long surprise shot within two minutes after the start of the period. Stealing the top of the Crimson attack he streaked down the ice and sailed the puck past Morrill from the boards.

Outsider Figures in Contest

Captain Chase and his men, once more on the defensive, rallied and carried the fight back down the ice, peppering the barrier consisting sometimes of five men back to their own blue line. As time passed things began to roughen and penalties were numerous. The climax of a sensational battle came when St. Germain the McGill leader, streaking down the boards, crashed into an excited spectator leaning out over the ice and carried him out onto the rink. Greatly incensed the Canadian star was all for fighting his unexpected defense opponent, but players and officials came to the rescue and the extra man was removed from the rink. St. Germain was sufficiently aroused, however, to assail the Harvard net alone and jam in the last goal.

Speed marked the battle from beginning to end, fast skating honors being shared by both teams. Five minutes of blazing play opened the game, action only slowing down with the introduction of a batch of spares. At this stage McTeer, McGill left defense man, smashed the Crimson defense and got the puck through for the first goal, shooting it from within a yard of the net. In return Harvard assumed the defense and began its bombardment of the Canadian goalie, Powers, who had to meet the onslaugh of a triple Crimson attack time and again.

Crimson Goal Disallowed

In the second period the University sextet went to work in dead earnest to even things up, success coming late in the period when Tudor passed to Chase from behind the goal. The Crimson leader picked it up and shot it home. Earlier Tudor had executed the same pass to Giddens who scored on a long shot, but the play was disallowed by the referee.

The University maintained the upper hand over McGill during the rest of the period, changing its forward line frequently. The blue defense penetrated Crimson territory only four times. However, the third period turned the tables, Doherty giving his team the lead and Captain St. Germain clinching the victory.

The next game on the University schedule will be with the University Club in the Arena next Thursday evening.

The summary follows:

McGILL  HARVARDDoherty, Kiritzwiser, l.w.  r.w., Tudor, WetmoreSt. Germain, Bell, c.  c., Chase, HolbrookRobertson, Farquharson, r.w.  l.w., Giddens, MillsMcMahon, Sherman, l.d.  r.d., A. Bigelow, SaltonstallMcTeer, r.d.  l.d., Howard, H. BigelowPowers, g.  g., Morril