TOUCH AND GO

Touch football, with its indeterminate costuming and its sunset lighting, has come again to Harvard. The Harvard Athletic Association may be gilding the lily to form a league, for when one has a league one has regular teams; and when one has teams one has percentages, and when one has percentages, one has championships. After that it is but a short step to the intercollegiate contest in touch football, which first reared its irregular-shaped head last year. Harvard's defeat of Brown at that time came as tidbit for those who prefer the deft to the desperate in sport, and who think that a lateral followed by a snap pass into the flat zone is a more beautiful thing than the temporary ataxia of the left side of the opposing line.

In face of the success of touch football there still stands a not inconsiderable impediment. One is not allowed to play touch football at Holders Field on the day when touch football was made to be played-Sunday. Touch football is probably invulnerable to formalization; its innocence defies every attack. Nevertheless, it can very quickly stop being a glad game if it has to be bootlegged to the far corners of Cambridge. There seems no reason why the University playing field should not be available on Sunday, whose afternoon has become the single free time for many who spend the playtime of youth at an openly educative Harvard.