Hart Accuses Political Clubs of Somnolence-Characterizes the Present Campaign as the Most Interesting Since Tilden-Hayes

"Your political clubs are half asleep," said Professor Albert Bushnell Hart '80, Eaton Professor of the Science of Government, Emeritus, in an interview with a CRIMSON reporter yesterday.

"Of course, I got back from Europe only two days ago, so that I don't know a lot about them, but they do not seem to me to be on the job. They should have canvassed every professor in the University, and got him to say for whom he was voting, and what his reasons were for supporting that candidate. Then the Republican Club, for instance, would have done something worth while both towards promoting Hoover, and towards strengthening the prestige of the club.

"This is the most interesting and exciting campaign I can remember since the Tilden-Hayes campaign of '76. And yet the students as a whole do not seem to take much active interest When we were in college, everybody discussed politics all the time. Every-one ate in Memorial Hall then, and we had some pretty lively times. Politics was the one thing which was dominant throughout the campaign, and up to a few days before inauguration, when election was finally settled.

"We had no political clubs then, but we did have torchlight parades. Both parties would be in both parades, such was the desire to be in or everything. On one occasion we had got down beyond Central Square when someone yelled out 'Freshies' from an upper window, with some justification. Potatoes were immediately put into action, and one first year man, whom I did not know, felt very much offended, for he was jumping around, waving his hands, and hurling violent epithets in the direction of the window. Well, that boy was Theodore Roosevelt."

When asked for which candidate he was voting, Professor Hart replied emphatically.

"Oh! I'm strong for Hoover. The most important thing is that he is a real business man, and knows our economic situation perfectly. The best president this country ever had was a business man--George Washington. This country is a business concern, and we need a man experienced with business to run it."