PINCHOT APPROVES POLL RESULTS SHOWING SMITH POPULAR WITH COLLEGE

CONDEMNS HOOVER'S RELUCTANCE TO MAKE STANDS

"I am glad to hear that Smith has polled the largest number of Democratic votes ever cast in the University," asserted Amos Pinchot, formerly a member of the cabinet of Theodore Roosevelt '80, to a CRIMSON reporter, yesterday.

"In my opinion intelligent people will turn more and more to Smith between now and election day. The only Republican argument cutting much ice is the old prosperity one, which makes little appeal to educated people. They know that prosperity is due not to the federal administration, but to the development of natural resources in business, stimulated in America by conditions in Europe. The quantity of free capital in America is due to the same cause and the fact that quantity production has been greatly perfected during the last decade.

Business Men Uneffected

"As a business man I do not care whether the government is Democratic or Republican. I do think, however, that Governor Smith's ability to deal with the administrative branch of our government is well proved, and his common sense will make him an effective chief executive. I like his honesty and his direct powerful way of stating things, and I do not like Hoover's reluctance to say where he stands.

"I am not a Democrat, my traditions and former party allegiance are just the other way, but I am going to vote the Democratic ticket this year. I think Smith is more liberal and more candid, and I do not like Hoover's habit of handing out to the public the old fashioned political guff we have been forced to stomach since McKinley's time.

Smith is Great Man

"Smith is, in my opinion, a great man. He is certainly a great man according to Matthew Arnold's definition of one when he said that Edmund Burke was a great man not for his policies or his activities which were sometimes right and sometimes wrong but because he more than any other man guided the public opinion of his day."