VICTORY

No more can a football team win praise without victories than a student can attain honor without marks. Athletic success is measured by scores just as surely as scholastic is by A's and B's. Whatever may be our attempts to ignore this fact they are patently doomed to failure.

During the last few years the one fault of Harvard teams has been that they have not won victories. After a brief dawn of hope this year a Harvard team has again seen victory snatched from its grasp. Almost everything else this Harvard team has strength, speed, and scrappiness but victory it, as yet has not and, as every one knows, victory is the greatest of all the virtues any team can have.

Today the Harvard eleven again performs before the eyes of the athletic world. Its showing against Dartmouth will constitute an important milestone on the road to failure or to success. It is thus not because we harbor any ill will toward the representatives of the Big Green every Harvard man would like to make the week end as pleasant as possible for his Hanoverian guests-but rather because victory is indispensible to a well deserved recognition that we hope to see the Crimson clad warriors on the big end of the score in this afternoon's gridiron battle.