Boylston Laboratory to be Utilized as Supplementary Annex for Widener Library-Bindery Will go in Basement

A. C. Potter '89, newly appointed Librarian of the Widener Library, yesterday confirmed the report that the Boylston Laboratory was going to be used for library purposes. He stated, however, that owing to the amount of chemical apparatus which must be removed and the necessity of cleaning up the building afterwards, it would be impossible for the change to take place before the Christmas recess.

The underground annex which lies behind the building next to Massachusetts Ave, is planned to be occupied by the book binding department of Widener. Books are now bound two levels below the ground under the front portion of the Library. All work must be done with the aid of artificial light and the enormous foundation pillars make the available space very limited. The binding is greatly retarded during, the summer months due to the excessive humidity causing book covers to curl almost immediately upon being bound.

Mr. Potter also made the statement that the Freshman Library now located on Holyoke St. near Gore Hall, as well as the history library of the Lower Reading Room in Widener were to be transferred to the Boylston Laboratory building where they will, in all probability, occupy the main floor. This merging of the possessions of the two libraries has all obvious advantages in facilitating the acquisition of history texts.

Another fortunate change will be the placing of the Chinese collection in Boylston Hall. These volumes are at present scattered, occupying various portions of Widener Library, some being placed on the top floor, other portions of the collection being on the main and second floors. All of the pieces will be gathered together but their exact position in the Boylston Laboratory could not be stated positively yesterday by Mr. Potter.

The opportunity of using the building is offered to Widener Library through the completion of the new Mallinckrodt Chemistry Laboratory which makes the space formerly occupied by the Chemistry Department available for other purposes. Any parts of Boylston Hall not occupied by the Library will be converted into general offices, according to a tentative plan.