Norton Chair of Poetry Will Be Vacant Throughout Current Year

English Professor of Poetry to Succeed Maclagan--Is a Fellow of Royal Society

The Charles Eliot Norton Chair of Poetry, founded by the late C. C. Stillman '98, will be vacant this year, the third since its establishment, according to an announcement made last night.

Heathcote William Garrod, Professor of Poetry at Oxford, has been appointed incumbent of the chair for 1929-30.

No reason was given for the vacancy in the chair this year. The purpose of Mr. Stillman's endowment was to bring to the University, men prominent in the field of poetry, who are expected to give at least six public lectures, which are published in book form later.

Professor Garrod has been Commander of the Most Excellent Order of the British Empire since 1918, and is a Fellow of the Royal Literary Society. He has been Professor of Poetry at Oxford since 1923, and is at present a fellow of Merton College, Oxford.

His publications include the Oxford Book of Latin verse, 1912. He is the author of numerous books of criticism, and the editor of several editions of verse, both classical and modern. At one time he was editor of the Journal of Philology.

The Norton Professorship has been held previously by Professor Gilbert Murray, Requis Professor of Greek at Oxford, world famous classicist and man of letters. He was followed in 1927-28 by Professor Eric R. D. Maciagan, Director and Secretary of the Victoria and Albert Museum of London.