POTTER APPOINTED TO OFFICE OF LIBRARIAN

MEMBER OF BOSTON LEGAL FIRM IS HONORED

Alfred Claghorn Potter '89 of Cambridge has been chosen to succeed W. C. Lane '81, who is retiring as Librarian of the University.

Mr. Potter has been connected with the University since his graduation in 1889. Until 1904 he was an assistant in the Library, and from 1904 to the present time he has been an assistant librarian, in charge of the Accessions Department. He is a member of the American Antiquarian Society, the Colonial Society, and the editor of numerous bibliographies.

At the same time it was announced that Knowles Gardner '12 of Boston has been appointed Professor of Law in the Harvard Law School.

Professor Gardner is at present a member of the firm of Goodwin, Proctor, Field, and Hoar of Boston, and was formerly a member of the firm of Hale and Grinnell. While he was at Harvard he made an excellent scholastic record, graduating from the College in 1912 cum laude, and from the Law School in 1914 cum laude, close to the top of his class. While in the Law School he was editor of the Law Review for two years.