"THE RALLY"

Abandoning its traditional policy of literary aloofness, the Advocate has, with its November issue, definitely entered the arena of opinion and criticism. Its new trend of endeavor finds substantial expression in two articles.

"The Bloody Shirt, World-War Model" and "The Rally," as well as in a vigorous editorial defending the publication of the latter.

Although "The Bloody Shirt," a striking narration of political chicanery in the American Legion, will command a wider circle of readers than any other of the Advocate's current offerings, it is around "The Rally" that immediate Harvard interest will chiefly center.

Any student familiar with the various departments of instruction at Harvard will recognize in "The Rally" a satire on the activities and personnel of the History of Literature Department. Whether the criticisms implied therein are entirely justified or not must remain largely a matter of individual opinion. A department which advertizes as its exclusive offering the best cultural prints that can be called from the other departments of the University certainly cannot claim entire immunity from the shafts of undergraduate censure.

But of greater importance to the general undergraduate body is the unmistakable stand taken by the Advocate in offering its columns for the publication of such a work as "The Rally." Thrusting aside the time honored bugbear of "poor taste", and daring the fury of wounded sensibilities the Advocate has staunchly committed itself to the task of voicing whatever legitimate criticism of Harvard life may be brought to the attention of its editors.

In thus widening its scope to the fields of current opinion and criticism the Advocate fulfills a new function of great potential value to the University without necessarily discarding its traditional role as a literary medium. The University has always had two faithful attendants who have been frank and unfailing in their critical endeavors. The Jester has ever been on hand as an antidote to undue seriousness, the Journalist has agitated, attacked, and decried. But for measured debate, for lengthy review, and for thoughtful satire the opportunities have been limited. The advent here of the Advocate must be an occasion for congratulation to every Harvard man.