A Selected List of Important Fall Books

KEEPING MENTALLY FIT

By Joseph Jastrow

This volume is written for the average man and woman. It strips the tenets of sound psychological theory to an understandable basis, expressing it in everyday terms and concrete concepts. $3.50 NET

ANTHROPOLOGY AND MODERN LIFE

By Franz Boas, Ph.D.

In this volume the author, drawing on the experience, of a long and distinguished career, makes evident to us the value of a knowledge of anthropology--the science of the natural history of man and his culture--to an understanding of our modern life.   $3.00 NET

BENEATH TROPIC SEAS

By William Beebe

Through Mr. Beebe's sensitive perceptions and reactions the story of his Haitian expedition becomes more than scientific history. It becomes also writing of fantastic beauty, philosophy, fascinating travelogue and adventure into the deep-sea world whose dimensions are so strange and glamorous.   $3.50 NET

JOHN CAMERON'S ODYSSEY

Edited by Andrew Farrell

Thrilling wrecks, sudden death, storms, hungry months on a deserted island, cannibals, savage chiefs, heathen rites, drunkes traders, Spanish dons, rogues, murderous fights,--all crowd the pages of this true tale of the adventures of Captain John Cameron a salty sailor of the old clipper era.   $4.00 NET

THE HEART OF JOHN BURROUGH'S JOURNALS

Edited by Clara Barrus

Clara Barrus, the old naturalist's informally adopted daughter, who mothered him through his last lonely years, now weaves a memorial wreath from leaves of his Journals. The book is good, eminently readable, the true record of a long and many-colored life.   $3.00 NET

VOLTAIRE GENIUS OF MOCKERY

By Victor Thaddeus

Brilliantly, passionately, yet with a keen eye for historical detail, Mr. Thaddeus presents the many-sided Voltaire, the man who walked with kings; who languished in the Bastille; who was an idol of the salons; who was a liar and forger, yet who risked his shrivelled body and his immortal soul for human liberty.   $5.00 NET

STIRABOUT

By David McCord

For title to his newest book of essays, Mr. McCord goes to the old philosopher of "The Crock of Gold," and chooses as a motto on his title page that worthy's recurrent pliant, "there are lumps in it." The lumps in this literary Stirabout are various and many.   $2.50 NET

THIS BOOK-COLLECTING GAME

By A. Edward Newton

In This Book-Collecting Game there are discussions of bindings, of earmarks of editions, of auctions, of the "knockouts," of the rewards and perils of the collectors life. With frontispiece in color and 133 illustrations in aquatone.   $5.00 NET

THE STORY OF ORIENTAL PHILOSOPHY

By L. Adams Beck

A brilliant exposition for western minds of the lives and teachings of the philosophers of the East; their practical significance and their poetry; the amazing ramifications of their wisdom in science, art and the business of living.   $5.00 NET

MY AUTOBIOGRAPHY

By Benito Mussolini

Mussolini has been a figure of mystery on the world stage. Yet of him we know little. What were his forebears like? What were the forces, the conditions of living, the secret fires of the man himself that made him II Duce, leader of Italy? Mussolini's s]tory is perhaps the most important public pronouncement by a world figure in many years.   $3.50 NET

THE DECLINE OF THE WEST

(Volume 2)

By Oswald Spengler

The first volume of the decline of the west considered the development of civilization through the media of philosophy, art, mathematics and physics. The second volume considers its development in the different forms of religion, law, politics, economics, language, race, cults and classes. Fear love and faith are all taken into account in this analysis of the world and of the human soul.   $7.50 NET

THE CANTERBURY TALES

By Geoffrey Chaucer

With illustrations in full color after twenty-four paintings by W. Russell Flint, A.R.A. This edition of one of the classics of all literature will at once take its place as one of the most beautiful books of this year--and of many years. W. Russell Flint is now considered the foremost water-color artist of England.   $10.00 NET

WHITHER MANKIND

Edited by Charles Beard

No such comprehensive effort has hitherto been made to assess the forces of twentieth century life, and the result commands the concern of all who have an interest in their own age and its destiny.   $3.00 NET

LABRADOR LOOKS AT THE ORIENT

By Sir Wilfred Grenfell

Recently, for the first time in a great many years, the famous Labrador doctor went on a vacation, a happy-go-lucky trip around the world. This book is the log of that perfect holiday.   $5.00 NET

GOETHE

By Emil Ludwig

The foremost biographer of to-day has written the life story of one of the world's greatest figures--poet and dramatist, Goethe's creative life, his social life and sex life, are recorded with drama and sound insight.   $5.00 NET

SIR MARTIN FROBISHER

By William McFee

The long awaited sea-biography by by America's greatest writer of sailors and ships. This is the first complete biography of the navigating genius of the Elizabethan navy, whose exciting career included soldiering, exploring, privateering and piracy before he fought his way up to vice-admiralty under Sir Francis Drake.   $4.00 NET

JOHN BROWN'S BODY

By Stephen Vicent Benet

Have you read John Brown's Body yet? Crictics, call it has greatest American poem--but its as fascinating as a novel and just as easy to read. Nearly a hundred thousand people have discovered that here at last is a poem more thrilling than fiction--a poem of glamorous history, inspiring biography, tender, gallant romance.   $2.50 NET

WALT WHITMAN'S WORKSHOP

By Clifton Joseph Furness

Recent study of Walt Whitman manuscripts has disclosed a number of significant unpublished documents, portions of which are presented in this book to afford opportunity for a firsthand study of Whitman's ideas and working methods. The introduction and notes aim to throw light upon the history and interpretation of the material but not to interfere in any way with allowing Whitman to speak for himself.   $7.50 NET