PIERIAN OPENS SEASON WITH BRATTLE CONCERT

BOSTON CITY CLUB CONCERT IS SCHEDULED

The opening concert and dance of the Pierian Sodality Orchestra will be given at Brattle Hall on December 19, it was announced last night by the management. Paul Allen, a prominent orchestral composer, is writing a number to the played for the first time on this occasion, the opening of the orchestra's one hundred twenty-second concert season. Nicholas Siovimsky, composer, teacher, and conductor of the Pierian, explained that there will be six flute parts in this composition, and that there is an opportunity for three horns, three trombones, two double basses, two oboes and bassoons, and any number of violins and violas in the orchestra. A spring trip is being planned, provided the attendance during the winter justifles it, and concerts are already scheduled, at the Boston City Club on February, 10 and at the Boston Public Library on March 31.

The Pierian has been improving its repertoire from year to year, approaching regular symphony standards. Last year a great step in this direction was made. H. T. Parker of the Boston Transcript commended the noticeable improvement in technique, phrasing, color, style, and tone quality.