FOLLOWING THE BALL

To-day and tomorrow the fruit of earnest conferences, intricate bookkeeping, and subtle diplomacy will drop dead ripe into the lap of many an undergraduate. From the man who makes a four hour glide to New Haven in his Packard to the seven passengers of an especially resurrected 1920 Ford all have spent a considerable time in a contemplation of ways and means.

Although a brilliantly colored folder attests the fact that many special trains will bear supporters of the Crimson to within inconvenient walking distance from the Bowl, the prospective passengers are concealed by the bustle of more picturesque travellers. Dull indeed are the ears that have not registered the consternation attendant on the phrase "he isn't sure he can get the car". In fact the less conscientious eavesdropper has found that genuine football pilgrims are characterized by an almost universal lack of assurance.

A place to sleep is in most cases even more problematic than a means of transportation. It depends on a tardy correspondence and the plans of certain ever indeterminable parties of the second part. But finally out of the mass of delayed mail and frenzied telegrams there usually comes a solution and many are the improptu pallets of Harkness prepared in the name of the vague old days at preparatory school. And today, as lectures close, the game is on; may the best man come out cheapest.