COMMONS GIVES FOURTH OF WERTHEIM LECTURES

University of Wisconsin Professor to Speak Wednesday--Directorships, Writings, Distinguish Him

Professor J. R. Commons, of the University of Wisconsin, one of the fore-most authorities in the country on labor legislation will speak on "Jurisdictional Disputes", on Wednesday in Emerson D at 7.45 o'clock. This is the fourth of the series of lectures being given under the Wertheim Foundation.

After a period of teaching in various colleges, and a year as assistant secretary of the National Civic Federation of 1902, Commons became professor of Economics at Wisconsin in 1904. In his term of service at this university Professor Commons has trained a large number of men now prominent in the field of labor relations. From 1913 to 1915 he was a member of the Federal Commission on Industrial Relations.

In 1917 he was president of the American Economic Association, and in 1922 and 1923, of the National Monetary Association. Since then he has been head of the National Consumers League, and since 1904, director of the American Bureau of Industrial Research. His published works include: "The Distribution of Wealth", "Social Reform and the Church", and "Trade Unionism and Labor Problems."

The Wertheim Foundation has for its purpose research on the betterment of relations between employers and employees, and provides for the series of public lectures being given at Harvard this fall.