FEWER MEN TAKING LANGUAGE EXAMS

518 Try Hand at Reading Examinations in September Few Attempt Tests for Elementary Knowledge

During the past three years the number of men taking the Language Requirements examinations has lessened considerably according to figures obtained yesterday in the Recorder's office in University Hall. The percentage of men passing the various Latin French, and German examinations however was shown by a chart to follow no trend the passing of the barriers depending directly on the preparation of the candidates the demands of the tests markers of cetera.

Descending Scale Apparent

According to the statistics 307 fewer undergraduates attempted the September exams this year than in September 1925 during which academic year the system providing for the passing off of the Language Requirements with the attaining of certain marks in certain specified courses was instituted. The decrease is attributed directly to the alteration in the means of receiving credit for the Requirements. In the September tests of three years ago 1169 students made attempts at passing the elementary and reading requirements whereas the September exams this year were of possible service to only 862. The numbers taking the examinations in the falls of 1926 and 1927 likewise follow this descending scale.

The greatest change in the numbers of men participating in the tests is shown in the columns of the reading exams figures each showing a decided drop during the last three years. It is apparent that the elementary requirements are met by most men now as before the change three years ago either through College Boards preparatory school credit or elementary College courses. The figures denoting the numbers taking these exams vary little from year to year 50 being the approximate average.

Of the 862 men participating in the September tests this year, 518 tried the reading French, 159 the reading Latin, 83 the elementary German, 69 the reading German, and 33 the elementary French.