CURTAIN RISES ON HOCKEY TOMORROW

Passing Combinations Will Feature Today's Drill, Culminated by Drastic Cut in Squad

With only one practice session remaining before the University hockey team opens its season against M. I. T. at the Boston Madison Garden tomorrow evening, Coach Joseph Stubbs '20 yesterday afternoon announced the starting line up of the University sextet which is to take the ice against the Technology team.

Only two of the University players who started against Yale last winter will be in the University lineup at the start of tomorrow night's encounter, according to Coach Stubbs, but three of the other four players will be letter men who have played as substitutes against Yale, and there will be only one man in the University starting lineup who has not yet earned his letter.

The University team which will take the ice at the start of the game tomorrow night will be composed of Captain John Tudor '29, left wing; G. C. Holbrook '30 center; F. R. G. Giddens '30, right wing; A. S. Bigelow '29, left defense; H. W. Bigelow '29, right defense; and W. L. Elkins '29, goal tender.

Of this group, Captain Tudor and Giddens were regular members of the University first string sextet last year, while Holbrook and the two Bigelows were first string reserves and saw action in every important game, except a few in which Holbrook was prevented from participating on account of injuries.

Elkins to Start at Goal

Elkins at goal is the only starting player who did not win his letter last year, but he was on the squad throughout the season. Coach Stubbs, however, is still uncertain as to who is his outstanding goal tender, and he stated yesterday that he will use Elkins in the first period. H. H. Newell '29 in the second period and O. P. Jackson '29 in the third.

Coach Stubbs will continue his policy of using alternate forward lines and defense pairs. He stated that his second forward line for tomorrow night will have H. D. Everett '31 at left wing, J. B. Garrison '31 at center, and C. B. Lakin '30 at right wing. The substitute defense men will be M. N. Stanley '30 and R. B. Covel '29. Stanley won his letter against Yale two years ago, but was ineligible last year.

Coach Stubbs stated yesterday that, after today's practice, the University hockey squad will be cut from 70 players to 25 or 30. The University second squad will then be formed. This afternoon's practice, the final workout before the game with M.I.T., will be devoted chiefly to the development of passing combinations and to defensive checking by alternating groups.

In yesterday's practice, which was featured by an informal scrimmage with the University Club team, a new defense pair consisting of S. L. Batchelder '31 and R. S. Ogden '31, both members of last year's Freshman team, displayed great promise. As Batchelder and Ogden were on the University football squad throughout the fall, Coach Stubbs does not intend to use them against M. I.T. tomorrow night. He expects, however, that they will prove to be of value later on in the season