QUINTET TO TAKE FLOOR NEXT WEEK

Captain O'Connell and Wenner are Only Lettermen Back--Football Men Have Reported This Week

The basketball team opens the season next Thursday against Northeastern University with only two letter men returning, Captain D. J. O'Connell '29 and H. T. Wenner '30, both forwards.

This week S. C. Bruns '30, W. R. Harper '30, and B. H. Ticknor '31 appeared at Hemenway Gymnasium for the first time since the beginning of practice, and, since these men are some two weeks behind the rest of the squad in preparatory work there appears to be only a slight chance that any of them will win a regular berth for the game against Northeastern next Tuesday. They showed the lack of practice yesterday afternoon in the gymnasium.

During the past week while it was still unknown whether these football men were to report, Coach Edward Wachter had a chance to look the other players over. Captain O'Connell is rapidly developing as a forward, and has improved over the form he showed last year. Wenner is the most experienced man on the team and his work last year has stood him in good stead. T. E. Farrell '31, who captained the yearling quintet a year ago, is continuing to show the same high brand of basketball at his guard position standing out well above the other candidates.

"The position of center is giving me a lot of worry", said Coach Wachter to CRIMSON reporter yesterday. "There are four good candidates for the position M. E. Pierce '30, V. W. Filoon '29, T. G. Upton '31, and R. S. Winslow '30. I am undecided who will start the opening game next Tuesday. This year's team will be smaller and lighter than it has been for a number of years."