HARVARD IS WEAK AT B.A.A. TRACK MEET

German Middle-Distance Runner Finds Hahn A Mystery--Says Relay Quartet Has Future

A rather weak Harvard Track Squad appeared on the boards of the Boston Arena Saturday night, where the B.A.A. Track Meet was held. Although the relay team succeeded in out-running their M.I.T. rivals in a close one-mile relay race, the Crimson first year men were downed by the Dartmouth Freshmen. The Harvard short distance sprinters did not last beyond the first heat, and the University did not place at all in the intercollegiate two-mile relay race. Dr. Otto Peltzer, German middle-distance runner, was present at the games, although he was unable to participate in them.

Watching Lloyd Hahn run in the Hunter Mile race, Peltzer said, "Hahn remains somewhat of a mystery to me. He always wins with plenty to spare, and no one knows just how much power he has. He seems to have a boundless supply of energy and stamina, and until he races Nurmi, Wide, myself and the rest of the runners at the Olympics no one will know just how great he is."

Commenting on the Harvard quintet as it relayed with M.I.T., he said that it showed possibilities for the future. Giving the Crimson a slight lead over the engineers, W.M. Dow '29 passed the baton F.E. Cummings '30, who handed a 30 yard lead to W.C. Peet '28. V.L. Hennessey '80 was the Harvard anchor man facing Captain C.B. Meagher, who gave everything he had for the engineers, cutting down the lead steadily as the bell sounded for the final lap. Feeling his rival at his shoulder Hennessey gave one last spurt, and crossed the line, defeating Meagher by about 12 inches. The race was run in 3 minutes, 33 3-5 seconds.

Although track followers were not expecting the University sprinters to place in the 40-yard dash, the defeat of A.H. Miller '27, now of the B.A.A., by James Daley of Holey Cross cam as a surprise to everyone.

In the Intercollegiate one-mile Freshman relay, Harvard, Dartmouth, and Boston College were the starters. At the beginning of the first lap, Dartmouth took the pole, keeping it until the end. In the battle for second place, the Crimson first-year men were the winners, coming in about 15 yards behind Dartmouth and five yeards ahead of Boston College.