REGISTER NEED

The appearance this week of the University Register is a February fulfillment of a need that was felt before the advent of November hours. The lack of any such directory to the University was unpleasantly manifest last year, a deficiency remedied by Student Council provision.

Delay has this year been partly excusable, a fire in the printing plant postponing the issue for six weeks. But even six weeks earlier would have been too late, when prompt cooperation from sources of Register data would have made it possible to publish in late November.

If a recurrence of this lapse in publication is to be prevented, popular demand in the tangible form of subscription to the Register is the only way of insuring its permanence. If this year's sale shows financial loss comparable to that of 1925-1926, recommencement of publication would be pointless.

There is no tragedy in the appearance of Harvard indifference in a happy disinterest in one's follow student. But it would be nearer farce than tragedy if more money should be wasted in the fulfillment of an imaginary need. And the need for a University Register has a certain air of reality.