POOL CAPTURES STATE AMATEUR RACQUET TITLE

Speed of Crimson Captain Is Vital Factor in Victory--Conceded Even Chance of Winning National Crown

Completely surprising a capacity crowd of spectators, J. L. Pool '28, leader of the University racquotmen, yesterday defeated M. P. Baker '25 of the Boston Athletic Association in three straight sets for the State Amateur Individual Squash crown. Baker is the present holder of the National Championship. The score of the contest follows: 15-10, 15-10, 15-6.

The game, which was one of the fastest contests played this year at the Association, was won through Pool's speed. Pounding Baker's backhand shots, the Harvard player took the jump early in the game and retained the lead until the end of the last match. Baker's forehand was difficult for Pool to handle at times, but the University player often forced the defender into many errors on his back-hand shots.

For three years Baker has held the title which he lost yesterday to Pool, and has held the national title for one year. The fact that Pool has defeated Baker six straight matches out of as many played indicates that the University captain has more than an even chance of winning the national title, when squash players from all over the country meet at Philadelphia this week in the National Championship matches.

The Pool-Baker contest was the final match in the tournament of the class A players for the State Individual Championship. The Massachusetts Squash Racquets Association was the sponsor of the tourney, and the Boston Athletic Association handled the details of the drawings and arrangements for the matches.