AFRICAN EXPEDITION TO BE UNION FILM SUBJECT

LECTURE WILL START AT 7.30 O'CLOCK TONIGHT

Dr. R. P. Strong Hon. '16, professor in the Harvard Medical School, will show motion pictures in the Living Room of the Union this evening at 7.30 o'clock taken by members of the expedition to Africa from which he returned last fall. He will also speak, comparing the life and customs of the natives in Belgian Congo and in Liberia.

The Harvard African Expedition was sent out in the fall of 1926 under the auspices of the Harvard Medical School. Dr. Strong and Dr. G. C. Shattuck '01 were the two leaders. Their purpose was to make a biological and medical survey of Liberia, that being the country of Africa which was least known in these fields. After spending several months in this region, they proceeded through Belgian Congo to Mount Mombassa on the east coast, in order to complete their data.

The investigations occupied the eight members of the expedition for over a year, and the explorers returned in the fall of 1927.

The speech and motion pictures will be preceded at 6.30 o'clock by a dinner in honor of Dr. Strong. The invited guests include H. J. Spinden '06, of the Peabody Museum, W. B. Cline '24, of the Peabody Museum, Matthew Luce '91, regent of the University, T. H. Culhane '29, Lawrence Coolidge '27, and K. D. Robinson '29.